Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Child's Calendar

A Child's Calendar
Poems by John Updike
Illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman
Published by A Holiday House Book 1999

Caldecott Honor Book 2000

A Child's Calendar brings me back to my childhood. When I discovered it in the library recently, memories rushed over me of the times I would sit in bed with this book of poetry and try to read its beautiful pages. As I perused through its pages once again, I can see why I was so attached to it. A Child's Calendar follows the activities of children as they pass through the twelve months of the year.  Each poem contains four to six stanzas with rhyming lines. The poetry is wonderful, but what really catches the readers eye is the detailed watercolor illustrations. You can feel each month through the colors used in the realistic pictures. The same children's faces are used throughout, which makes it like a treasure hunt to see if you can spot each one. I believe this book should be a staple in each home!

This would be an excellent mentor text for poetry. I can see myself easily using A Child's Calendar to create a classroom calendar with poetry from each student. It would be a great way to incorporate science and seasons with poetry.



Updike, J., & Hyman, T. S. (1999). A child's calendar. New York: Holiday House.


No comments:

Post a Comment