Thursday, February 19, 2015

Make Way for Ducklings

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Published by The Viking Press 1941

 The Caldecott Medal 1941

Make Way For Ducklings is a classic children's book that has been around for generations. It tells the story of a family of ducklings, the Mallards, who travel through the parks of a big city to eventually settle on a small island in the Boston Public Garden.

What makes this book so special is the illustrations. The brown pencil drawings and attention to detail can easily be noticed. The drawings appear textured with the use of line and pattern.

This story would be a great read aloud for young students because it is definitely a page turner. I still recall one of my professors reading this book to my class and showing us a video of it. I knew it was a book that I want part of my children's literature collection.


McCloskey, R., McCloskey, R., Viking Press., Duenewald Printing Corporation., & Affiliated Lithographers. (1941). Make way for ducklings. New York: Viking Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment